Got another snail mail acceptance. This one was from an agent at an international agency, offices in LA, New York and London. It is interesting if only because this is the first time an agent has asked for the complete manuscript, printed, and on an exclusive basis. Naturally this brings up some problems.
I have sent partials to many agents already so I know that I’ll have to admit that somehow in the letter I write to her. But I have one full manuscript out as well. The agent with the full manuscript right now says she needs 4 weeks. It has been with her since the 8th. I should wait a week and a half more before contacting her.
I’m tempted just to send the full manuscript to this new agent and hope for the best. But what happens if the first agent comes back with a positive response? I’ve decided to go ahead and wait at least one more week, then contact that first agent, see where she’s at, and then send the manuscript to the second (exclusive) agent to read.
On her blog, Janet Reid wrote about how silly and time wasting exclusive readings are, in a posting called Exclusives Stink. I understand the dilemma. Despite her advice and the 50 or so comments from other writers, I’m still left with poor choices.
Still, I’m waiting for that agent to accept my work or ask for more after having read some. I’ve yet to get that type of positive feedback.