Monday, May 4, 2026

Kindling Ideas in my Mind

My father came up with an interesting idea the other day. It was right after he said that "the Kindle will be history in under a year." I likened that statment to someone having said, "the hard-back book will be history in under a year" when paper-back books made and appearance.

Despite this statement, my father had a truly interesting idea. He thought that the text on the Kindle should scroll downward as the reader reads. This should be adjustable (as simple as a setting for fast, slow, faster, and slower) and would also get rid of the constant "next page" button pushing. I thought it sounded pretty clever.

In this vein, I have a couple of ideas that Amazon should look into for their next Kindle release.

Allow the reader to download and set his own screen-saver images. I'm not sure who made the final decision on the images that are pre-loaded, but they're kinda rotten. I have a portrait of Agatha Christie (good), an awkward one of Steinbeck (blah), a portrait of James Joyce where in his hands appear so small that I think he must have been in constant pain, then several of historically notably people, few of whom I recognize and they are not captioned. Why can't I be allowed to download my own? I would pick Dick Francis (natch), Agatha Christie is already on there, Robert B. Parker, and a host of others. They could serve as my constant inspiration.

Second, allow me to download music that can play through the little speakers on the back. I'd love it if a bit of Beethoven, or a mote of Mozart were pumped out as background noise while I read. The sucker has speakers. I've yet to hear them work, but I think this would be a good way to leverage those babies.

There are several other ideas regarding future versions floating around in my scunion, but we'll save those for future posts.

No comments: