Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Been Some Time

I realize that it has been a long while since I posted here, and for a long time this blog was turned off (unbeknownst to me) but, in my defense there was a setting that wasn't correctly clicked that stopped the site from being made public.

That being said, I've been doing quite a bit of writing in my down time. Not a ton, but quite a bit (naturally "quite a bit" is less than "a ton" but more than "a fair share"). What have I been working on? Well, it depends on what I'm reading.



When I read a Frederick Forsythe, which I'm about to do, then I work on my thriller novel about the mercenaries who are out to safe the African elephant orphanage.

If I'm reading a first person mystery/thriller, like the Dick Francis novel I'm reading now, then I work on my next mystery novel, this one revolving around the NFL and our foster kiddo, Anthony (see here).

If I'm reading anything else I work on that romance I've been plugging away on. That one is probably the most polished of the bunch, but also, strangely, has the furthest to go.

What's been most frustrating is that just the other day, when I'm on the cusp of going fully cloud capable, my dang window gets busted out at my workout and my computer is stolen. That same week, still reeling from that, my hard drive with all my backups craps out. I've lost a good 20 thousand, perhaps as much as 40 thousand words toward that NFL story. Not a huge loss as it was still such a rough draft, but still now I have to go back and rewrite all of it.

I find it interesting that I don't care about that loss more. I think it says something about my writing process and my drafts. I believe I read that Dick Francis worked on just one draft. He might do one or two edits, but his first draft lead directly to his final. He was definitely a planner. Robert B. Parker who wrote the Spenser novels did the same. I know I read that somewhere.

I am a "pantser" . . . I write by the seat of my pants. I'm beginning to believe that may not be the best use of my time and effort. Perhaps with a bit more planning I could knock out better novels, quicker. Then again, if I was to have it stolen from me again, I'd care a whole lot more than I do now.

Now that I'm fully on the cloud and the only thing that could wipe out my drafts is an electro-magnetic pulse that fries tons of servers all over the world, I don't see myself losing anymore drafts, so perhaps this is just the kick in the pantser I need to become a better planner.