Recently I had to write a white paper about a new project for work. I was excited by the opportunity to tackle, writing a paper that reflects research into Neuroscience and Learning and the Learning and the Brain, specifically for learning that takes place using Virtual Reality (VR) technology. Currently, my organization has developed and deployed a VR training that reinforces procedures and techniques for a "fire emergency" situation. The trainees that we host are used to taking training in a Computer Based Training (CBT) or eLearning format. Our new VR training provides reinforcement exercises and simulations that take place as a part of that typical or traditional CBT style of learning. By providing both this CBT mixed with VR exercises, alongside the same CBT without VR exercises, our hope is to analyze the results to determine if VR is an effective tool and is worth the investment.
I really enjoyed writing this paper for it gave me hope that we are moving in the right direction and that the results for long term memory and memory retrieval using this style of training is positive. Although I saw some results in the articles I studied that did NOT show the results I was hoping for, there was some reason to be positive.
Incidental Memory - One study on incidental memory asked test subjects to enjoy a VR exercise then asked them questions that had nothing to with the exercise. They were quizzed on what they saw and experienced tangential to the primary exercise. The results did not show a higher degree of incidental memory retrieval in the 3D VR simulation as the 2D simulation.
Place Cells, Grid Cells etc - I had the chance to read and understand much more about grid cells, place cells, head-direction cells, sensorimotor cells, border cells, and boundary vector cells and how all of these play a part in memory making and potential memory retrieval. All of this was new to me and I look forward to finding out more about how all of these affect memory.
Multiple Trace Theory - Dr. Fishback had discussed this memory theory before in this class and in our former class, but reading about it in more detail was intriguing and finding how our VR exercises can potentially lead to more traces, stronger memories, and the chance to access the memory more easily later is interesting.
Long-Term Memory - One of the most promising aspects was a study that showed that although there might not be a significant difference between immediately recalling VR experiences (ie. after a 2-min break), after one week there was a 25% difference in favor of VR. This is very appealing for my organization in that so much of training is needed well after the initial training.
The last few months of developing our VR exercises as small snippets rather than what we have found the VR developing community advocates (more large scale and long VR exercises) has been a labor of love that is finally being launched. Seeing that the idea we had has promise in these studies has helped build confidence that we are on the right track. I look forward to the next few months as we gather and begin to analyze data that we gain from this venture.
I'm sure the white paper will make an appearance here soon. But already the VR exercises are becoming a hit in our training areas.

No comments:
Post a Comment