I rarely listen to country music. I find there are two or three typs of country music. There are those that are treacly and stupid. Then there are some that are formulaic and you can't tell them apart from the song you heard just the song before.
Then every now and then there are those that hit you deep in the heart. These are the songs that make you think that country music writers and singers are the true troubadours of our society. They make you think deeply about past loves, and current ones. Maybe you begin to think about future loves and potential losses.
This is why I avoid country stations. You get things you'd rather not hear in both cases. They either hit you to the soul or they make you wonder why they were written.
I ran into one the other day on the way to the grocery store. Hit me deeply. Like Escape (or as many like to call it, the Pina Colada Song) this one had a deep meaning that I'm sure I had heard before but had not considered as much as I should have until the other night.
The tune, the lightness, the melody, it all makes the listener think that they're about to hear something light and fun, when you listen to Tim McGraw's just to see you smile. Truly, that's one you'll remember forever after the first time you hear it, and if asked most would say it's a positive song. And the first stanza would make you think that. Then McGraw hit ya with:
When you said time was all you really needed
I walked away and let you have your space
Cause leavin' didn't hurt me near as badly
As the tears I saw rollin' down your face
And yesterday I knew just what you wanted
When you came walkin' up to me with him
So I told you that I was happy for you
And given the chance I'd lie again
Just killer lyrics. Changes the entire direction of the song and is in direct juxtaposition to the light and airy melody. The very reason I hate country music stations. Get's to the heart directly.
Elizabeth, Betsy
Evershade, evershades, ever shade, ever shades, shades of Betsy

1 comment:
I find this is true of all genres, not just country (though perhaps mostly country). I hear pop and even rock songs and think "what is the point of this song?" I think songs are not always written for the same reasons. Some are pure dance tunes, and the lyrics matter little. Some are party songs. Some are just there for the purpose of allowing a guitarist to rip on the solo. And some are written to be really listened to. Those are my favorites. The ones with words that make you feel and think, regardless of genre.
Post a Comment