Monday, June 1, 2026

TPACK & SAMR

I had to draft a script for a presentation on SAMR vs TPACK. This is what I got: 


Good afternoon everyone, and thank you for taking the time to meet with me today.

Slide 1 - Intro and setting the stage: Title of Presentation 

Script: As I began exploring TPACK and SAMR in terms of the training we provide, I found myself thinking less about technology itself and more about the learners in our learning community. I believe one of the biggest mistakes organizations make when integrating technology into a learning ecosystem is assuming that access to content automatically equals understanding. In reality, effective instructional design requires us to understand the needs of our entire learning community, including multilingual and non-native English-speaking learners.

Slide 2 - What is Translanguaging: Definition and description

Script: I recently presented my findings from my study about non-native English speakers and safety training (Hannah et al., 2025). The study discusses the concept of translanguaging, which is an instructional approach that recognizes bilingual learners naturally move between languages to construct meaning and understanding (García & Leiva, 2014). Rather than forcing learners to separate languages, translanguaging uses all of a learner’s linguistic resources to support comprehension, confidence, and long-term retention. It's similar in nature in my view to "code mixing."

Slide 3 - More on Translanguaging: Bullets on History and Benefits 

Script: What stood out to me most was the idea that direct translation alone is often insufficient and less effective for learners to continue to grow in their understanding of jobsite language needs. A course can technically be translated into another language and still fail to create meaningful understanding because terminology, context, and workplace application may still be unclear. Learners may hear the words, but they still lack the context necessary to fully understand what is happening. 

Slide 4 - TPACK: Definition and Model of Framework

Script: This is where I think the TPACK framework becomes especially important. TPACK reminds us that effective learning experiences happen when technology knowledge, pedagogy knowledge, and content knowledge work together (Mishra & Koehler, 2006). However, I would argue that understanding the learner must also be central to that process . If we ignore linguistic diversity, cultural background, or communication barriers, then even highly sophisticated instructional technologies may fail to achieve meaningful learning outcomes.

Slide 5 - SAMR: Definition and Model of Framework

Script: I also see strong connections to the SAMR model (Puentedura, 2006). In many cases, organizations use technology simply to substitute traditional materials with digital ones. For example, uploading translated PDFs or adding subtitles may improve accessibility at a surface level, but that alone does not fundamentally transform learning. The study demonstrated that features such as bilingual glossaries, visual supports, scenario-based learning, and keyword integration help learners connect technical English terminology with concepts they already understand in their native language. 

Slide 6 - Making the Case and Benefits: Bullets of possible benefits

Script: What I find especially compelling is that these approaches do more than improve learning outcomes. They can also improve confidence, workplace communication, inclusion, and even safety. In high-risk industries, misunderstanding terminology or procedures can have very real consequences. Ensuring that learners truly understand instruction is not simply an educational concern; it is also an operational and ethical responsibility.

Conclusion: Summation

Script: I believe this study shows that frameworks like TPACK and SAMR can become far more than instructional models, but can instead become active learning tools for creating more accessible, equitable, and effective learning environments for all learners within our broader learning community and touch learners who previously might have been overlooked.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing your feedback and suggestions.

References

Blundell, C. N., Mukherjee, M., & Nykvist, S. (2022). A scoping review of the application of the SAMR model in research. Computers and Education Open, 3(100093), 100093. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.caeo.2022.100093

García, O., & Leiva, C. (2014). Theorizing and enacting translanguaging for social justice. In A. Blackledge & A. Creese (Eds.), Heteroglossia as practice and pedagogy (pp. 199–216). 

Hannah, R., Matuszczak, J., Vera, S., Mauricio, Y. (2025). Translanguaging as a strategy to enhance workforce training for multilingual adult learners: A study to inform policy innovations. BCSP's SHIFT Journal.  https://www.bcspshift.com/research/translanguaging-as-a-strategy-to-enhance-safety-and-workforce-training-for-spanish-speaking-adults-in-the-energy-and-construction-industries

Mishra, P., & Koehler, M. J. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017–1054.

No comments: