I don't do much on the Facebooks anymore. I check in with old friends every now and then, or I wish someone a happy birthday, but that's about it. Truth? I think the Facebooks have jumped the shark. I think it's had it's heyday. The only thing I love about the Facebooks anymore is the birthday aspect. I try to particpate in that as much as possible. I can't tell you how great it feels to have three hundred or more people wish you had a happy birthday via the Facebooks. Gives a fella that warm glow that he's doing some little bit of something right with life when he sees that.
Regardless, I ran across something from the little NaNoWriMo group I'm a part of on the Facebooks. They were giving advice to another writer asking, about how best to find time to write. At the moment the longest, most solid blocks of time I have to write are on weekends. I'm forcing myself to find little bits of time throughout the day to write as well. And it was all due to that little Facebook message.
In the post I read there were several other Facebook contributors telling this poster about finding time to write during a busy day. One of them said, "Dune was written by Frank Herbert during his lunch breaks while he sat in his car."
This resonated with me. I have no idea if it's true. In fact I can find no corroborating evidence that it is, but it resonated with me if only because I just re-read Dune. I remember I read Dune for the first time back in high school. It's even better the second time you read it twenty-five years later. It's a tad disconcerting that when I read it the first time I felt myself younger than Paul Mo'adib, but when I read it the second I found I was as old or older than his father, but that's irrespective of the writing time issue.
If Frank Herbert can find time to write Dune in his car during his lunch breaks (again, uncorroborated) when there were no word processors, and no computers or printers, etc. I can certainly find the time for my writing life as well.
You never know where inspiration will come from. When it does grab hold, hang on and let it take you for a bit.
No comments:
Post a Comment