Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Cubans

One of my favorite sandwiches is a Cuban sandwich. Roast or smoke pulled pork from a pork shoulder, sweet ham, smooth swiss, spicy, yellow, mustard and a pickle all in a panini sandwich, pressed to perfection. Mmmmmm! Easily my favorite sandwich besides a reuben or a meatball sandwich, or Philly cheese steak.









So, with this in mind, I was surprised when my assistant and I went out to her favorite Cuban restaurant and she didn't think that getting a Cuban sandwich was authentic at all. In fact she laughed at me. She was Cuban and she worked for me for almost two years.



I say worked because she left this past summer. Took off. Couldn't stand some of the changes that our organization was going through, nor the new commute. She's young, she can go find a new job quickly, and in fact I helped her find a job. That one didn't work out and she's now on the hunt for a new one, which is why she came to have lunch with me the other day.



What the hell does any of this have to do with writing?



It wasn't until my last novel, Vapor Trail, that I started trying to introduce some very real and prescient themes into my novels. I'm working on a little novel now, an action/thriller, third person novel, that I think I'll be introducing a theme I saw at work in my little Cuban the last time we met.



She worked for me for two years and during that time she was one of the best assistants and workers I've ever had. Then BOOM! She left, stopped working for me, and she's circling the drain in a way. She's a bit of a lost soul. I know that I stay with my company because of my boss. It's great to have a terrific boss. It's hard to find and when/if you do find it, you should stick with it. I think the Cuban is figuring that out now. I'm not saying I'm some sort of kick ass boss, but I could read some regret in her eyes over fried rice at lunch.



This is the theme that I want to introduce, the pliability of character based on external influencers. How someone can be one type of person with one person, and another with other people. Should be fun to weave into the Dev Palmer story.

No comments: