One of my readers wrote to find out how things are going with the new exercise challenge I started back in December. Those who read this blog regularly will remember I tried a 100 days of running challenge in the Fall (see here, here, and here). So the question of how the December weight lifting challenge (see here) is going is valid and timely.
First, I had to deal with two personal issues in the past month. One was a personal, family issue which I'm STILL having trouble overcoming. The other is directly related to the new weight lifting challenge and severely limited my ability to continue. Simply put . . . the weight lifting challenge re-aggravated my shoulder and left me with no choice but to go see a doctor. According to the doctor I had a torn labrum in my shoulder and needed surgery. The picture below was me following surgery:
So my next 100 day challenge will be one that includes physical therapy, healing from the six or seven places where the surgeon cut into my shoulder, overcoming the need for a brace, sleeping on the couch, and very slowly getting the motion and muscle back to my arms and shoulders. The pic below shows the before and after of my surgery. The top is the torn labrum. The second (from a different angle) shows the repair.
All in all the 100 day lifting challenge was a failure. Ultimately the fact that I went to see the surgeon was a moment that was out of time. I actually hurt my shoulder in Dec 19. I've had pain for the past year. It was just the 100 day challenge that brought that pain to the fore and forced me to deal with it. It was bound to happen and hopefully I'll be stronger in the long run because of it. Fingers crossed!


No comments:
Post a Comment