Monday, September 21, 2026

Non-Creative Writing Publication

I have so many of these in the past few years . . . non-creative writing publication. Like 5 times as many truth be told. I should be excited about htat right? Publication is fun. But I'll tell you a secret, . . . I'd prefer to have a creative writing publication. 

BUT, that also requires writing creatively . . . which I'm doing, and I'll post on later. It's just taking more time than I thought.This could be because I'm paid to write non-creatively. 



This article comes by way of BIC again . . . . Business and Industry Connction. I remember reading BIC when I first started in this industry decades ago. Did I ever think I'd be writing for BIC as much as I do now? Nope. 

Last spring I had an article published in BIC on our Value of Credentials study (HERE), and before that a snippet about why I like and read BIC with my beta reader Julie as well no less (HERE) and before that . . . well, there are probably four or five more all told. This time it's a study I performed on suicide awareness training that we offer (see HERE).


This was a great little study. It combines "transfer of learning," which is one of my research passions, with construction, and a study partner I love working with, as well as a challenge in the industry that I'm not sure many people are aware of. 

Suicide is a bigger challenge in construction than most realize. You have a bunch of rough and tough guys who don't like to express their feelings, a community that, if you're hurt or challenged, you might not get work, and a persistent risk of injury that is usually covered up, both mental and physical. All of that can take a toll. Add to this that there are significant periods when you might not be at home around support and loved ones, and you can see why suicide could be a challenge. 

What was the result of the study? Yep, even a short training can change behavior and understanding. Seems like a "no-duh" thing right? Still, it's good to get the study done. 


No comments: