Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Getting Empowered and Staying Empowered

I'm in the middle of reading a book right now. No, not a book club book (see here). Not a book for school, even though I've got plenty of reading to do for class. Nope, this is non-fiction reading. I like to wake up early and read, and usually, it's non-fiction. I started this when I lived in Belgium. I would wake up at 5 in the morning and read for a few hours. Now, my son wakes up at 6:15 so if I wake up at 5:30 I get 45 min of uninterrupted reading. The other morning I read about the empowerment triangle.


Before the empowerment triangle, there is the step of identifying that you aren't in the Drama Triangle. The drama triangle is above. It's a vicious circle, the book says, that doesn't allow the person to break out easily. Instead, you go around blaming others, being a victim, and believing yourself a hero that only keeps the circle spinning. 

The goal, as the title of this page suggests is to get to the empowerment triangle. 


As a part of the empowerment triangle you create, challenge, mentor and empower others. It's a funky ideal for me, but it's actually in line with what I'm reading about in my class on adult development. Self-authorship, the four pillars of development, the human learning and developmental cycles. I think it's funny that my non-fiction book and my class are aligning. Hopefully the others I influence in my life will start to notice a difference!




No comments: