Friday, March 18, 2022

Intelligent Child Works with Children's Intelligence

That title is a bit of a misnomer. It should say Intelligent Child Works with Children's Development, but that didn't come out as pithily as the one I just wrote. So what am I talking about?

Piaget. 


I don't really know much about Piaget. His work was primarily in the developmental stages of children, not adults. However, the little I've read about him makes me want to know a lot more about it. 

Based on this reading, Theories of Development; Concepts and Applications by William Crain, Piaget was an amazing kiddo. He was published quite early (10 years old) and asked to be a manager of a museum in his teens. By 21 he had his Ph.D. and by 23 had decided what he wanted to study and why. By contrast, when I was 23 I was just entering the Army cause I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. 

What is genuinely amazing are the descriptions of his experiments with kiddos. I do a lot of experiments with the learning community I support. We work with spaced practice, we tried social media interactions, we tried chatbots, we try everything with those learners just to study and see how they do. 

Piaget did the same with kids, including his own. Most of his more famous experiments dealt with conservation of matter and children's abilities to work with the different matter at different states and understand how they worked through different phases of the 6 stages he identified. 

What does this have to do with Adult Development and Adult Learning? No idea. 

I'm guessing the professor is trying to inspire us to look at our own areas of interest as Piaget did. He studied and studied and studied and experimented and wrote and wrote. 

It makes me think of doing more experiments on our learners. First and foremost, taking a cue from Piaget, I would ask Jason that we immediately begin capturing years of experience. How awesome would it be to take that information, how long our learners have been in the industry, and begin to see how well they answer questions on different courses based on that year of experience. Then we might be able to see when or how quickly an inexperienced worker becomes knowledgeable. That would be useful for lots of folks. 

If my VR work for my dissertation falls through, this might be the track I follow. 

No comments: