Four years of hard work, and I finally got rewarded by my organization for all that work. Lets keep a few things in mind. First, I never thought about getting a PhD, my boss wanted me to. Also, let's remember, that it's a PhD in the very thing that we do, adult learning. Lastly, let's remember that I did it super quick while keeping down my job. Lots of weekends, lots of classes, etc etc.
Then there's the counterpoints . . . right? They paid for the courses. 40K or so in tuition, 5K or so in travel. They also funded my study and gave me some time to do the work. But still, four years and I finally get my raise.
How much?
$7K.
Talk about underwhelming. I worked hard for four years and I got less than $2k per year for that work. Am I happy? Nope.
My boss even said as he gave me this, "Do you have any questions?"
I said no. I think everyone goes into those meetings asking inherently "How much does my boss and this organization value me?" and the answer? Well, he values me $7K more. After getting the highest degree I can possibly get, and one no one else at the organization has, I got $7K more. I am not happy.
I think my boss was hoping I would argue.
Nope, but what I am doing is looking at the market. I've turned down 7 jobs in teh past four years. Not anymore, now I'm going to discuss the job and the money. Haven't before, I will now.
I was expecting that this raise would make me competitive. Am I? I don't think so. I think now, I'm underpaid for the market, and I want to see if that can be fixed. We shall see.
But, it's not really just the money, is it? What have I said the past few months? My boss has been saying I have the weakest department in teh organization. I disagree. But he's the boss.
Let's keep in mind too, that I gave more than a $7K raise to a few of my employees. They didn't get PhD's this year. But they got larger raises than I.
My boss thinks my worth to the organization is on $7K more now that I have a PhD in the field. I disagree. But he's the boss.
I feel like I may be being told something through these messages. Despite his saying "we want you hear till you retire," they don't seem to be telling me that in other things that are said.
I think I should be a boss of my own career a bit more. See what's out there and if I am at the top of the market.

No comments:
Post a Comment