Monday, May 6, 2024

Detox and Attention Span

I read with great interest this article in the WSJ entitled "How I got my Attention Span Back" (see HERE). Why? Well, I suppose it's for several reasons. 



The first reason is that I feel like I jump from one thing to another too quickly. The article even references this. 

The author writes:

If your attention span has also been MIA for a while, try to pinpoint your weakness. For me, it’s “checkiness.” That’s my word for mindlessly, reflexively picking up my phone to peek at Instagram or even check my email when there’s no real reason to.

This passage resonated with me. I see this in my own life. Too much checkiness. 

My son, every now and then, will surprise us by performing a "dopamine detox." A time where he steps away from all social media, gaming, etc. It usually only lasts a few days, maybe a week, before he gives up, but it's a good thing to do if you ask me. 

Anyone who reads this blog has seen the unintended consequences of this. Seen many posts lately?

I did this back when I was single. I guess it started in college. I was living with Jay and our TV stopped working (long story). Jay was too poor at the time to buy a new one, so we lived without one. We also lived without AC. I spent a ton of time in the library. Got the best grades of my life. 

Then living in the Army, no TV again. But we were working so much that I couldn't notice that I was detoxing at all. But, when I got out before I got to know my roommate, I lived in a little apartment and kept a small TV in my closet. I got more done that year than any other. 

I think it's time for that again. I've ditched the apps on all my devices. TV? Well, that may take a bit longer. I'll still watch when I'm hanging with the kiddos or the wife. But I should find ways to limit that as well as the apps. 

Already, I've posted more today than any other day in the past few weeks. Let's see where this takes us. 


No comments: