The question I was asked to take on this week dealt with Humanistic Adult Education. Choose one other perspective (e.g., Humanistic, Postmodern, Progressive...) and compare/contrast it with the Behaviorist perspective.
I look at Humanistic Adult Education and see many things that align with an overarching or conceptual view of the behaviorist perspective.
In my previous post, I talk about the nuance of specific conditioning for adult education. Things as simple as a "ding" to denote getting a question correct, or a "womp-womp" for questions that are incorrect, are reinforcing and conditioning student behavior.
But when I look at humanism, what attracts my notice is "self-actualization" where the text notes that Maslow and Rogers "see education as a means of fostering self-actualization and fully functioning individuals" (Elias & Merriman, 2005, p. 125) and that "humanistic education is student-centered" (Elias & Merriam, 2005, p. 124) where the teacher doesn't always know bets but it allows for individual and learner freedom to be there best potential.
How do these two come together in my mind? In terms of life events I think our learners can find positive reinforcement in their careers and in the development of their skills. Conditioning can be in the form of pay raises, "atta boys," the contentment they can find in being a mentor, and in rising through the ranks. This can all lead toward them becoming their best possible selfs, fulfilling their potential, and perhaps even steps closer toward self-actualization.
Reference
Elias, J. L., & Merriam, S. B. (2005). Philosophical foundations of adult education. Malabar, FL.
No comments:
Post a Comment