Saturday, March 25, 2023

DEI in Academia

My buddy Andrew works at a college and we were discussing DEI. He mentioned that in his college they do a great job with educating and informing and discussing DEI, but not so great at actively challenging or doing things to move the ball down the field. I think he said, we have the social justice part down, just not the social justice reform part. 


I was really interested to see his thoughts on this aspect of his work. It's so drastically different than mine where there is hardly even lip service paid to social justice reforms. 

It sure sounds like his work is more mature in its understanding and use than the learning community I support. That being said, I'd love to hear from him about what "justice" aspects he thinks should be a part of his work at the university. If he thinks they're doing a good job getting the word out and educating, what's that next part look like? If he had all the help and money and time necessary, what would he model and why? And how might that help things?

At my organization, we are currently working our way through a cultural transformation. My boss is frustrated that we haven't seen more positive results. When I was discussing it with him the other day I had to remind him that although he's focused on this framework and this initiative for over 6 months, and I as a part of the executive team have been working on it for over 4 months, the bulk of the organization, or the employee base, has only had this as a part of their lives for 2 and a half months. Changes like this take time. More time than 2 months. They may also evolve, hopefully in a positive way. 

No comments: