Friday, December 11, 2020

Another 100 Days

 Last month I finished my 100 Day of Running Challenge (see more here) and today my friend asked me if I had given up running for a while. 


Just the opposite really. 

It was nice to include what I learned on my 100 day running challenge into my novel this year for NaNo. It helped make the character deeper, more resilient, and helped her find the impetus and reason for change. 

I’ve started a new homemade challenge. This one follows the same 100 days that I had with my running challenge but instead of running it’s more about lifting. 

The rules I’ve made up for myself are:

  • Gotta be one of my workouts that has focus and full body (ie. 24 exercises, 16 that focus on a primary muscle group, 8 that are variable)
  • Every third day legs 
  • Can’t run more than 50% of the workout time
  • Run can’t be a solo (needs to be mixed into the lift, otherwise I’ll just run run run)
  • If I do want a longish run .... sometimes you just have to have a good long run .... gotta lift first. Can’t tell ya how many times I’ve run with the intention of lifting after the run and failed to follow through. 
  • If I get hurt or sore .... lift less weight and more reps ... no excuses to stop. 
  • Finally, once a week minimum, take 15 to 30 minutes after to yoga stretch the muscles. 
See! Should be easy peasy lemon squeezy!

So far so good. My kiddos are joining me when they can. 16 days in and going strong! 84 more to go!

What's this have to do with writing? 

More than most might realize. I was surprised how much my last 100 days challenge played a part in developing the main character in my last novel. Though that 100 days challenge, through her, she showed vulnerability, consistency, stick-to-it-tiveness, passion and compassion. It was a far bigger part of the story than I thought. 

All of my previous novels (see here) have had exercise playing a pivotal role in the novel's story. That's because exercise and fitness has played a big part in my life. It's a big part of so many people's lives these days. This next 100 days I can tell is going to be a tough one. Let's hope it provides fodder for a great novel or two!


No comments: