Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Listen to the Panel

A couple of weeks ago I had the chance to be a panelist on a webinar that discussed the most effective engagement tools for virtual meeting experiences and virtual classrooms.  I had the chance to work once again with Sally (see below pic and here). Sally worked for me for many years and was one of my best trainers. She represented the field level view for the panel. We were joined by two faculty members from an Adult Learning doctorate program, and me who was bridging the gap between the fieldworker and academia.


The reason I bring this up, besides the fact that I think panel discussions for hundreds of people is fun, is that in the past few months I've had some highs and lows with webinars, and the organizers from some of these low ones, sure could have used the advice that Sally and I doled out!

  • Today I was on a webinar on the "Walk the Line" initiative. Sounds fairly straightforward. The problem was that no one bothered to tell the group what the heck the initiative consisted of. They went right to the results and to the conclusions without framing the issue. They must have gotten quite a few chat requests to explain what the hell it was because, at 38 min in, the presenter was asked to stop and explain to the group. Scaffolding. Teach on top of those things you've already taught the learner. Don't jump in at the end. 
  • Also today, they tried to use a poll app. This is always hit or miss. Today, big swing and a miss. Not because of the app. Rather it was the Master of Ceremonies. He was not a talker. Lots of dead air, and like the Walk the Line initiative itself, no one bothered to explain to the audience how to actually take part in the poll. Over communicated and make things overly simple.
  • A month or so ago I was in an online meeting with 75 people. I don't know who decided to start with introductions, but it was a bad choice. It took over 15 minutes to get through introductions, and I'd say a good 30% of the audience didn't have their names listed on the call sheet so it became a lot of the host saying "could whoever is calling in from 451-1281 introduce themselves and tell us who they are. Fiasco. More than fifteen people? Eschew introduction. 
  • Finally, another meeting. Maybe two months ago. The first meeting of this group since Covid so their first online experience. They always started their live, in-person meetings with the pledge of allegiance. They thought that would be a nice way to do it again. Some stood (crotch level cameras ofvouce) some didn't (disgracing the flag) some didn't even try. Fiasco. Don't do group activities. 



No comments: