My colleague discussed my homeschooling project. He wrote about much of our project is designed around SC-F-COP (social media fueled community of practice).
He hit on an exact aspect of our plan that I think would be very worthwhile for homeschool parents. Right now, I have a neighbor who homeschools their children and they have to be a part of a church, a part of other community groups, in order to have their children play sports and socialize with other kiddos. These same aspects are "baked in" to the traditional school dynamic.
What we want to inspire is a place with other homeschoolers to go and find that some aspect of a community. I think our KSU community, Canvas, is a great example. I have had several classes with you and many many interactions here via Canvas. We have never met but I betcha if I reached out with a specific question you'd be quick to answer.
We have created a community in Canvas of our learning cohort going through these classes. Why not inspire and create the same thing on purpose for Homeschoolers. This may already exist, but the (rather informal) poll we took to begin our work showed that none of the homeschool parents we talked to had this capability specifically for homeschooling. Some used Facebook groups, or other groups, but there was no group specifically for, moderated for, or geared toward homeschooler specifically.
No comments:
Post a Comment