I wrote the other day about Social Capital and leadership (see HERE). I will follow it up with this entry.
I find it interesting that social capital isn't linked to leadership more ubiquitously. When I read the article and considered it as a part of my own organization, I had an epiphany. Social capital is used as a part of leadership often in my world and in my organization.
We are a non-profit, but the good graces, and social capital of our members. If we lose that we take a pretty bad turn in the negative direction. And I'm constantly seeing leaders with greater social capital try to bring others into fold and instill in them the same degree of power and moxie that they enjoy. Some sink, some swim, and some, as the article mentions, don't exercise their efforts enough and lose their social capital. We teach leadership to supervisors, crew leaders, managers, and more.
We discuss the importance of communication, situational leadership, urgent vs important tasks, etc. But nowhere do we discuss, even in passing, the importance of social capital and how and why to use it. That needs to change.
No comments:
Post a Comment