I'm intrigued that so many definitions of Adult Education discuss that the learning must be voluntary. It's an aspect I've never considered.
Much of the training we provide is done in what many people might say an "involuntary" way. Meaning exactly what you said, they might lose their jobs if they don't take the training. The training we provide on skills development, safety and especially site rules and regulations are all required by our learners before they step foot onto a refinery or other plant that has dangerous or hazardous chemicals, situations, work tasks, etc.
However, I take and opposite view of this being "involuntary" training. All of these contractors have freely taken these jobs and positions with the knowledge that they will have to be trained. Since they chose the work and the job, isn't the training that comes as a part of that job "voluntary?" They have volunteered for the position so the training provided seems to me to be voluntary as well. If they don't want this training, then there are other positions outside this industry that they are free to take.
When I think of the word voluntary or involuntary I think of my sons, one of whom is in lower school, the other in high school, . . . they are in the midst of "involuntary" education in that, they have to go to school. If they move to a different neighborhood, they're still going to school. Even if they don't "go" to a school, we have to home school. That freedom to decide not to train is not there. It is with the learners I deal with, even though they might feel it is not "voluntary."
Regardless, it's interesting in terms of that definition. Our learners are volunteering to take the course in order to complete their jobs, so I think it's within that definition.

No comments:
Post a Comment