Monday, October 12, 2020

How is it Already October 12th?!?

 October 12th is always a day that I'll remember? Why? . . . That's an interesting story. 

I had a friend years ago, and that friendship became a tad toxic. 


Eventually it got to a point where I had to ask if we should just stop. 

I wrote a long email, well thought out, each word precise and considered. It was a letter where there had to be an answer either yes or no. It was a letter where I would get a response, and it would tell me which way we should go. There was no ambiguity, that was assured by how masterfully I wrote this email! (I wish I had kept a copy!)

They did write back. Their response to my saying: should we continue to be friends, or would it be easier if we just stopped being friends was: 

How is it already October 12th?!?!

At no point in my letter did I make any reference to date. In no previous email had I referenced time, date, or anything. There was no reason for them to ask this. There was nothing special about October 12th. It was nothing, just another day. 

All of that hard work to ensure against ambiguity had been dashed and destroyed with one simple sentence, one I had not expected nor could I have expected. It was a master stroke on their part. They kept the ambiguity and the friendship going (it didn't last too too much longer after that). 

I mean I've looked it up and I've found that October 12th is:

  • Columbus Day
  • Canadian Thanksgiving
  • National Farmers Day, and 
  • Indigenous Peoples Day

I wonder sometimes if I should reach out to them and ask them about October 12th. Maybe every October 12th I could reach out to them and write "Can you believe it's October 12th?" I wonder if it would resonate with them the way it did with me. I doubt it. I think it was just something to be said when there's nothing else to say. Wasn't that the definition of supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Regardless, every October 12th I've always taken a moment to wonder what the hell October 12th meant. It also always stunned me that I was trying so hard to find a definitive answer, wrote a message to get that answer, and the answer I got back only made things worse. Funny ole world. 


No comments: