Lately I've been struggling to find the mot juste, so to speak in songs, movies, and in writing (see here, here, here, here, and here). The turn of phrase above is apropos considering today's installment. This comes from Emily in Paris, a silly show that I happened to watch as I was doing other things, and I only found mildly compelling because I spent a year in a French-speaking country as a foreign exchange student. If you weren't a foreign exchange student to Europe as a kiddo, you might struggle to find the series interesting. Just saying.
Regardless of where anyone lived as a kid, the quote made me sit up and take notice, both for its simplicity and it's resonance. The exchange happens as the main character, Emily, and her boss are out to dinner and Emily introduces her friend, Gabriel, to her work friends. There's a simmering love/like affair between Emily and Gabriel that Emily's boss sees immediately. The two of them are out on the Paris streets at night after dinner talking. She confronts Emily about what's going on between the two of them, Emily and Gabriel.
Emily: No, we it's not like that. He lives in my same building. We're trying to keep it simple.
Emily's Boss: Sometimes the relationships that are most complicated, are the ones most worth having.
It was one of the lighting bolt moments. Now, granted, it might have been a tad different quote, but it's close and I got the idea the writer was trying to get across.


No comments:
Post a Comment