Thursday, October 15, 2020

Being a Mentor and Leader

We were asked the other day whether we think a team leader can also act as a mentor. Personally, I think a team leader can act as a mentor in many cases. I know that I have people on my team who need a more direct style of direction, and those that need mentorship.







I think back to Blanchard's situational leadership model (2017) where it shows that leaders who can identify the needs of their employees and the type of employee they are can adopt leadership styles that best meet those needs and types. I know within my teams I have managers who are well versed and who have been around for years, they need very little coaching or mentorship. Then I have some who are new managers but have been with the organization for years. They need mentorship on how best to lead and manage their teams. Then I have those employees who are new to the organization and to their positions, and these are the hardest to lead as they need the most input, direction, and coaching. I think not only can a team leader act as a mentor, I think that it is critical that a team leader acts as a mentor but be able to determine when best mentor.





To the question of whether team leaders doing so much can continue carrying their load, I expect my team leaders and managers to not only work but to take on the onerous tasks of management and administrative tasks for their teams. In most cases in our organization, we promote people to managerial positions who are our star players in the department. Their abilities are usually such that they can not only handle their typical workload but also continue to juggle the administrative aspects of the job. When we have managers who can't keep up that pace we mentor and coach them to place they need to be. If they are still struggling and bringing the team down, then usually they are re-assigned.



The Center for Leadership Studies. (2017). Situational Leadership: Relevant Then, Relevant Now. https://www.situational.com/content/uploads/2017/10/FINAL_CLS_History_CaseStudy_Digital.pdf

No comments: