Last year the doctor let me know that things were falling apart and breaking down on the body. So he gave me multiple medicines to fix it and keep things running smooth. One side effect of one of those drugs was painful muscle and joint soreness. Most of the statements about it told me however that it should only last a couple of weeks. So I gritted my teeth and worked through those two weeks. They were right! At the one month and 3 month checkups, all seemed to be going well.
This last checkup, the annual checkup, they took blood and checked how the medicine was working. I got a call from the doctor yesterday.
"Are you in pain?" he asked.
"Not really," I said.
"No muscle aches or joint stiffness?"
"I'm sore from my workouts lately."
"Yeah," he said. "That's not the workouts. According to this chart you are in pain. Should be pretty significant too."
"Really?"
"Yeah, we need to switch your meds."
So this conversation yielded several things:
First, the typical response from the family that I'm "Strong, like bull . . . Smart, like rock." Ha, ha, always funny.
Secondly, wife seems to think it's funny that I only started complaining about the pain when told about it by the doc.
Lastly, it made me wonder just how long I've been "suffering" with pain. I think back and I've been sore for a while now, but when did the soreness from the shoulder surgery (here) and my working out again (here) blend over into this soreness and pain?
I also wonder how this affected my work relationships and friendships. Have I been short with my friends? Have I yelled or been upset and allowed my insidious pain to change my emotions? What about at work? Have I been grinning and bearing it? Has that changed how I work with folks?
I'm looking forward to the new medicine. I wonder how it will fix my work and friendships.
No comments:
Post a Comment