Monday, June 7, 2021

Binary Choices

Up until I started reading the Roberts and Hyatt book I had only thought there were two outlets in terms of which methodology to use, Quantitative or Qualitative. I would be in our study group and someone would say, "which are you picking?" and for some reason I thought there were only two to pick from and it was a binary choice! 


It was with some great relief that I read that mixed or multiple methods as a methodology for data evaluation. As I might have mentioned to you, I have the great benefit of having a learning community to constantly experiment on and have ready data at my fingertips. We ran a test of "which type of elearning helps develop long term memories" last year and we used a mixture of the actual raw data from the learner's integrated knowledge checks throughout the elearning, the final assessment after the elearning and a follow up assessment a week after having taken the elearning. We also had them answer some survey questions and our proctors interviewed each learner and asked them about the experience. When I was asked "quantitative or qualitative" my mind would freeze because our past experience used both and I wasn't able to immediately answer the question. Now I know that mixed method is what I should say because with the data from all those test and quizzes to compare, as well as the survey data and interviews, what I'm trying to create is analysis that is both subjective and objective. So, like I said, I should have realized there was some grey area and a non-binary choice, but for some reason I never realized it. Happy to read it in this chapter. 

My second discussion point will focus on Wallace and Wray and the Critical Synopsis Questions, specifically what I learned from last week's assignment. I love the fact that the Critical Synopsis Questions helped cut through the fat so to speak. So often I get lost among all the lingo and pronouncements in a scholarly article that I forget what I'm trying to learn from it. I love the fact that they are all written in a similar manner, with similar standard sections, but when reading them, particularly if it has been translated, I love track of the overarching concepts and find myself losing the thought train. I like that the Critical Synopsis Questions help refine and retune my focus on that which is important for me. Like a hand rail when walking up the stairs in the dark, it helps to remain on task and on track. 

No comments: