Monday, August 10, 2026

Beloved Book Club

I'm a part of a book club, and recently Beloved came up for discussion. I read Beloved back in high school, and just going back and getting ready to read it again brought back so many bad memories that I decided this might be one book that the book club reads, reviews, and discusses that I won't be a part of. 


I had a hard time with this book. I even remember arguing with our teacher about it and trying to get extra points on quizzes and tests. What I found funny about this is that when I was in middle school and high school, I was constantly getting into trouble for reading. I would read what was assigned immediately, then go back to my own reading list. I remember cracking open Beloved, knocking it out, and coming away more confused than ever. I can't imagine what some of my classmates, especially the ones who didn't enjoy reading and weren't very good readers, got through that module of the class.

One of the aspects I found most confusing, and I hate to say this because it sounds so shallow, but I hated the naming of the characters. Now, I've used Wheeler as a character name, Weed, Wynn, Madison, Wyck, and even Stubby. I've even given characters names based on descriptions . . . Sausage Fingers, for Maldo, and for a mini-van with a big engine, Big Matilda. Truth? Big Matilda is one of my favorites. 

Still, I had trouble with Paul D., Sethe, Denver, Teacher and most of all Baby Suggs. I was so confused throughout the whole book. Then there's the mystical aspect of the book. I appreciate it, I appreciate the storytelling, and I even appreciate the names, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I even appreciate the challenge that that story provides, and the writing.

Appreciating it and liking it are different things completely. 

So, I'm pushing the pass button on this book club suggestion and moving on with my own reading list. I'll come back to the book club suggestions later, I'm sure I'll find some alignment in coming attractions. 

No comments: