In what ways have you seen transformative learning integrated within your learning community, classes or courses? What has been the inspiration for these moments and the results? How can you relate these moments back to our readings?
When considering this question, I think about Newman's (2012) text where he calls the idea of transformative learning into question. When I think about this question and apply his thoughts from the text, I think of the moments in my life that I think have been "transformative" in nature and have been unique and distinct from general "learning."
Newman (2012) in discussing degree or kind writes "but any learning effectively done involves reassessment and growth. The learner recognizes that she or he knows something new, that she or he could not perform a certain task and now can, or that she or he has a new viewpoint" (p. 40) and when discussing Cranton writes "in effect, the students are making the point that all learning involves change. And they are challenging the idea that one form of learning that results in significant change is deemed "transformative" and another that also results in significant change - learning a new computer skill and learning to read are examples given - is not" (p. 41).
In these passages, the point is that transformative learning is more a degree of learning rather than a unique type of learning. To clear this in my mind I think of the transformative learning moments that we design into our courses and that I've been a part of in my past to try and decided if those moments that I deem "transformative" are differences in degree or type and why? In every case, I come away thinking that it is a different type of learning if only because of the design employed by the trainer to inspire the learning moment. Perhaps the most relevant piece of information leading to transformative learning experiences in my learning history and in the designs we employ to create them is that they occur through what Mezirow calls a "disorienting dilemma."
In the article Transformative Learning in Adulthood, the author Imel (1998) states, "Perspective transformation leading to transformative learning however occurs much less frequently. Mezirow believes that it usually results from a disorienting dilemma which is triggered by a life crisis or a major life transition " (p. 2).
Additionally, there is the fact that creating an environment learn from one another. As Mezirow (1997) lists when he writes in "fostering self-direction, the emphasis is on creating an environment in which learners become increasingly adept at learning from each other and at helping each other learn in problem-solving groups" (p. 11).
Finally, there is a moment for reflection and the learners' building upon their prior experience as stated by Merriam & Bierema, (2014) when they write "for this to occur, however, there must be space for students to reflect, discuss, and engage in activities that draw upon their life experiences" (p. 96). When this is added to my thoughts, I see that transformative learning moments, both that I've been a part of and that I design for our learners are "designed" specifically to bring about an intense, fast, and sharp perspective shift rather than something that is gradually learned over time. Instead of being a degree in kind, I see transformative learning moments as a designed experience that follows a framework and has a specific, targeted outcome.
References
Imel, S. (1998). Transformative Learning in Adulthood. In ERIC Clearinghouse on Adult Career and Vocational Education (ERIC Digest No. 200).
Merriam, S.B., and Bierema, L.L. (2014). Adult learning: Linking theory and practice. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Mezirow, J. (1997). Transformative Learning: Theory to Practice. In New Directions for Adult and Continuing Education (No 74, Summer, pp. 5-12). Josey & Bass Publishers.
Newman, M. (2012). Calling transformative learning into question: Some mutinous thoughts. Adult Education Quarterly (American Association for Adult and Continuing Education), 62(1), 36–55. https://doi.org/10.1177/0741713610392768
No comments:
Post a Comment