Monday, November 7, 2022

Crying Co-Workers

Things are getting crazy at work. I suppose alot of the craziness that I see at work comes from stress, there is a lot going on, and a feeling that others are doing what they should be. It's a tough nut to crack, but a great opportunity for self-authorship. 

I heard from a co-worker the other day. She was crying. She was upset with her leadership and was reaching out to me for my own thoughts. It creates a sticky situation. To what degree do I toe the party line of the organization vs do I assuage the feelings of this worker? 

I think back to all of the times I've cried at work to a boss or leader. That was easy. Zero times. 

I asked my wife about the total number of times she has cried while at work to her boss. Her's was as easy as mine. Zero (this is why I married her . . . that lady is no-nonsense). 

I thought about the time a lady who worked for me came and cried about not getting the promotion she thought she deserved. I let her go the next day. LONG story behind that. 

As I thought about her, then another and another, there's probably a dozen times someone has come to cry to me about stuff. It's not as rare as I might like. Always ladies. Can't think of a single dude has cried to me at work. 

Work worlds are crazy little places. Tons of emotions. Lots of competing personalities. Everyone is supposed to be moving in the same direction, but so often these dust-ups occur because people don't think that everyone is on the same page. 

What to do about the crier the other day? Assuage, listen, and empathize. What else? 

I suspect I'll see more rather than less in coming days. Ugh.

No comments: