In a meeting for work the other day, I was playing the game with one of my managers … We asked what another what would our superpower be if we could pick any superpower. We started with the idea of flight, shape shifting or invisibility. She chose shape shifting. I chose invisibility.
Basically, after she said I was a creep for picking invisibility… Maybe, but it actually might have something to do with my being an introvert, never wanting to be the center of attention, being the grey man.
After a while, I realized what I'd really rather have is the ability to go back and redo my life. One of my favorite books that I've written about many times as the first 15 lives of Harry August. I love the idea of going back and re-doing something in our lives, so that it works out better the next time. But one of the things that that book shows as well is that no matter how much you may want to change something human nature is human nature and some things just don't change.
I'm reminded especially at the moment when he goes back to make a girl love him. Once he has her to his own, he realizes he no longer wants her. Neither other things that caused that to happen, but I think that the point is made by the author.
What's the point of all this? Well on my run today I was thinking about regrets. Invisibility would be avoiding decisions and problems so you would avoid the opportunity for regrets. Harry August would allow someone to go back and re-do things to not have the regret. But as I said, regret will always happen won’t it?
No comments:
Post a Comment