Regardless, there are many times in the Corps series when the main characters enjoy the wealth around them. Usually in Griffen’s books there is someone who is independently wealthy. They buy Brooks Brother’s uniforms, they sleep in hotel suites, they throw parties on yachts, they have private planes, etc etc.
In this last one I read, the two main characters take some time away from life in the Marines to enjoy sleeping in a suite. One character says, when you have the opportunity for comfort take it, because soon if you’re in the Marines you won’t have the opportunity.
A while back I wrote about this, that I don’t always tend to take the easy way. At work, the other executives go to Perry’s regularly, they throw lavish parties, they stay at nice hotels, they buy nice shirts and jackets. Then there’s me. The nicest hotel I stay at is Hilton Garden Inn. I wear trousers not slacks. If I eat at Perry’s I’m invited to it, and I don’t usually enjoy it. If I spend more than 25 dollars a day on food when I travel, I think I’m not being a good steward of company money. I’m frugal. Downright miserly even, when it comes to myself.
Why?
One reason could be I grew up with the trappings of wealth. We didn’t own Ferrari’s or Lamborghinis, but we had friends in the neighborhood who did. I went to a prep school for the first 9 years of my school life. Never had to scramble or save for the most part. Maybe I eschew those things now because of that foundation?
I noticed it in the Army too. When we got somewhere and everyone scrambled for the creature comforts I would just hunker down on the floor and be content with what I had. I was offered a travel stipend of 50 dollars and I said, “A day?” My boss said, “No, per meal.” I never used it beyond 50 dollars a day. I’m content with having little rather than wanting to be grand. I don’t even feel comfortable doing “grand.” I’ve been asked to lead a conference, and my team has to keep reminding me that we have money to spend.
Then there’s the fact that the other day my boss told me to watch my expenses. Took me back a bit. Then after we discussed it, I found out he meant the expenses I approve for my teams, not my personal expenses. My personal expenses he admitted were among the lowest in the company. My departmental ones were high.
Guess what, I’m okay with that.
No comments:
Post a Comment