The other day I wrote about how I needed to get back into my running. How I had failed so badly at my goal to run a fun run a month for a year. Last year the dog days of August got me. I couldn't find a race in August. This year it was my crazy April and May. Well, I am back on track in June, and hopefully making up for lost ground.
Yesterday I ran a 5K. Ran fairly fast too. Surprisingly fast . . . but isn't that the way I always run these damn things.
I looked at my watch when I was almost half way done, and saw that I was running at a sub 8 min mile pace. I thought I would downshift for the second half. My downshift didn't work. I even stopped to walk and get a drink of water at the water stop. Didn't slow me down much.
I have no idea how I did compared to others. They haven't posted any results yet. The other problem . . . I forgot to stop my watch at the right time. Take a look at that map . . . I crossed the finish line and walked back toward my car and all that time during that walk, my watch thought I was still running.
I bet, had I stopped the watch in time, I would have had a 7:50 per mile pace. 7:26 first mile, 7:50 second mile . . . I'm betting I could have run an 8:20 or so third mile and gotten a 7:50 overall pace. I'll have to wait for the official results though thanks to my stupid watch!
Next week I have another run, then yet another in Kansas in two weeks! Gonna catch back up to my goal of 10K a month!


No comments:
Post a Comment