Sunday, July 2, 2023

Journals

 Step one in publishing a journal article, is to select the topic and select the journal(s). Ergo, . . . topic selected below, and some journals I'm targeting.







Topic - VR and Emotion in Industry Training





The topic that I selected and was approved was my research proposal for my dissertation which looks into how emotionally resonant videos combined with virtual reality (VR) exercises can augment computer-based training (CBT) courses. I am currently collecting data for this study and should have it completed and analyzed within a month. One of my committee members suggested that I research and begin to understand how I can publish this in a journal after my dissertation and the study are complete, so this is quite timely. The benefits of using this study for this class are that it is directly relevant to my life and work, and will help advance the research that I am doing and help move it into the next most natural evolution of my work and publishing life. Additionally, I have written the first three chapters of my research proposal so I have a strong base of writing from which to pull and moderate toward a journal article.





I've selected three journals that I think may be a good fit for publishing an article on my research.





Journal #1 - PLOS ONE









PLOS ONE is a peer-reviewed journal published by the Public Library of Science since 2006. It primarily covers research from within science and medicine. When I was doing research into my research proposal a lot of the journal articles I read on virtual reality effectiveness came from PLOS One. They consider research article submissions that report on or research new methods in tools and training or software.





Journal #2 - Virtual Reality









The second journal that I am considering is a journal called Virtual Reality that I found via Springer. This journal too provided me with multiple articles and research on VR that I found useful for my proposal. They specifically state that they look for new or innovative research into AR, VR, and MR. They also are looking for innovative new designs and techniques or approaches to using VR, AR, or MR systems. The research I am performing could be considered a new design, integrating microlearning VR exercises into established CBTs and applying emotional videos, so I think it hits the intent behind this journal's work.





Journal #3 - Interactive Learning Environments









The second journal that I am considering is a journal called interactive learning environment. This journal looks for systems of learning and training that are innovative, unique, or effective that aid learners. They look for studies on the principle of course design and authoring. Again, the uniqueness of the integration of the VR exercises into established computer-based training courses would qualify as a unique and innovative training course design. The fact that we are using VR that allows the learner to practice in a virtual environment would qualify as "interactive" as well.


No comments: