Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Lottery Losers

I was talking to my brother today and I had a bit of an inspiration about a future novel. My brother is great about having future novel ideas, this discussion today was no different. 


He mentioned that he read and article about an accountant who believed anything over 7 figures was a "world-ruining" amount of money to win. I believe it. 

I think that much money would ruin lives more than help them. Let's pretend that I won 10 million dollars. My kids are going to expect things from me they wouldn't have expected before. They'd want a free ride for college, they'd want nicer cars, they'd want better toys and more expensive computers. If I didn't give it to them, and they knew I had the means to do so, they'd think I was being selfish. 

Now think about other family members. My cousin? The one who's never had the best financial means, he gets into a bit of a pickle and just needs a few thousand dollars, let's say 25K to get out of it. Again, if I have over 10 Million 25K wouldn't be a big deal would it? But, if I don't give it to him, I'm being selfish. Now multiply that by all of the brothers, cousins, aunts and uncles that I have. 

This came up because my brother is dealing with someone who has a new worth of 1.8 Billion dollars. That's an absurd amount of money, and the guy has not only an absurd lifestyle but an absurd sense of right and wrong. 

Then there's my wife's boss. He has tens of millions to his name, perhaps hundreds. Private jet money. Thinking of buying helicopter money. Multiple houses in multiple states money. He still has the same challenges we have, just slightly different. He's quite the same as us, but I wonder if these expectations I brought up are the same for him?

The novel wouldn't follow the main character through this, I think the main character would watch someone else go through this lottery-winning routine. They win over 100 million and his life and his relationships all start to swirl down the drain. 

No comments: