I ran this 8K race last year, immediately after returning from two weeks in the UK. I looked back to see how I did compared to this year. So I've gone back in my fitness history . . . taken a trip in the "way-back machine" so to speak, so I can see how I compare.
These two images, they are from my 2022 8K campaign.
These two images are from this morning's venture.
What does it show me?
It shows me I have a significant problem. My weight? Nope. That's not the problem. My speed? For a 50 year old big guy, I'm not that unimpressed with an 8:30 or so pace. Nope, my problem is that I can't run for fun.
I deliberately went out there today to not compete. I didn't want to kill myself. It's too hot for killing oneself. Heck, when the alarm went off this morning I seriously considered not getting out of bed. I thought about just going back to sleep. I ran last week in a race. I will run next week in a race. Would not running 5 miles really kill me?
Well, I did get up. And I did run. And I ran faster, despite my wanting to run slower, than I did last year.
I deliberately ran slow today, . . . I swear I did. I came in 4th in my age group. For some reason it doesn't show in the results page. Maybe my number was jacked up. What's worse? . . . I stopped to walk at the 6K and the 7K marks. I stopped and enjoyed a little 100 meter walk just to rest the old muscles and catch my breath. Despite the two walks, I still beat last year's race and beat most of my competition.
I think I need to invite a friend to run with me and just run for fun with them. I wonder if when I go by myself it's too tempting to compete even when I don't mean to.




No comments:
Post a Comment