Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Can't Slow Down

 I was out of town this past week. I needed to "anchor" myself to the area for an extra day. I knew that I would want to leave early. It's just too easy for me now days to find an early flight home and hop on. Well, I needed to force myself to stay this time. An anchor.






So, naturally, I signed up for a fun run.











I doubt you could find anyone else in the world who uses fun runs as anchors like this. But I do.





It was a 4 miler . . . I could have picked an 8 miler, but then I would be running the course twice. Anyone who follows this blog will know I hate double loop running. If it had been on lap, I would have done the 8 mile. But I hate running by the finish line and going back out. It's just a hang up I have.











I was going to take my time and enjoy it. Well . . . I enjoyed it, but I did not take my time. I tried to, seriously I did. I meant to go slow. But the hysteria overtakes me and I start going and going and going.





I came in first in my old guy age group.









This has happened three or four times in the past year. I don't know what's going on. This should be a time when I'm slowest in my age group. It's after I turn 50 that I should be the youngest guy in my age group. Right now I'm the oldest, and I keep winning.





Additionally, there was hills! Look at that analysis of the run. A great big hill. Guess who's not good with hills! I used to be. In the Army I was a hill champ! But, not recently after running in flat old Houston.





Anyway, it worked. I was definitely anchored. And it made it more worthwhile that I won the race. 


No comments: