I think I've posted some of these images before, but I think they deserve a second posting. This is my aunt's bay house. It's a beaut isn't it? It's as if it's made for taking great pics!
Well that first one, is just the sunset from the dock. So maybe its the sunset that is designed and built for great pics.
My aunt built this place for her to host her family . . . her extended family. When I was young my grandfather restored a Civil War era plantation home in the country. We shant go into the morality of hosting weddings there, I've addressed that in other posts, but I remember when he was in his 70's and into his 80's he spent the majority of his time there; gardening, keeping the place in good shape, hosting the guests for the bread and breakfast, etc etc. I spent alot of time up there with him, most of the whole summers, many, many weekends.
When there weren't any weddings, events, or many guests, my grandparents would host all of their children and grandchildren there. July 4th parties, Christmas, Easter, etc.
My aunt has now started doing the same at her bay house. She spends most of her time there, she loves sharing the place with her kids, her siblings, her nephews and nieces. I've gone there three or four times now. This past weekend we were there for a huge family reunion. Almost 50 people at her house and at several houses we rented nearby.
I enjoyed the weekend, sure, but what I liked the most was the island time. Things seem to slow down significantly when you're near the beach or on island time. There's a different pace to live, and one that I think I'm ready to embrace. The rat race in the city is starting to become a bit too much. What was it I wrote that my old friend Ron told me? What's the point of running the rat race? If you win, you're just the lead rat!
The trick is to be able to enjoy the island time whilst in the city. That will be part of my self-authorship journey, to slow things down, to enjoy the ride, to quit running the rat race.
Soon, based on my obvious family genetics, I'm going to have to find an old farm house or vacant lot on the bay, build a huge house, and then care for it for twenty or thirty years. I need to be ready for that lifestyle . . . whether it happens in the country or on the island.




No comments:
Post a Comment