Friday, May 5, 2023

Del's and PhD's

I have to admit, for a long time, I thought we were all getting A's. I thought that if you were in a PhD program and you were putting in the effort, you were getting straight A's. Plus, there is this new nonsense about not grading in schools (see the article HERE). I understand the opportunity to not "punish" students but rather allow for psychological safety and grade students on their own efforts and their own growth. But, I'm also a fan of standards meeting standards to pass (see any post I've written on the Rangers!)


I got my MBA from Univeristy of Phoenix back in 2002 or 03. When I signed up they were investing heavily in recruiting out of the military. I guess their message worked for me. I went in, signed up for my GI Bill benefits, and thought I was going to take all my classes online. HA! Little did I know that they had a campus in Houston and all of my classes were at the campus!

Quick aside. I shouldn't have done this. I mean, sure my MBA is a great thing. I learned a ton. It has been useful and helpful in my career. BUT, I had been accepted into SMU's MFA for creative writing. I had been offered a stipend, a scholarship, and a potential position as a TA. Didn't take it. Geez I'm an idiot. Think how different my life would have been had I taken that slot.

Regardless, there were many people in my MBA classes that I thought were a bit miss placed. They didn't seem to take the classes as seriously as I did. Were there many who did? You betcha. I linked up with several of them, notably, Jeff and Aaron. We formed a tight little cohort and got through the entire course (I wouldn't say with ease . . . but with a steady glide path) and learned what we could.

I remember among many of our projects . . . businesses we put together . . . we had a team member named Del. Del was a total waste. He did nothing. When it came time to present we let the professor know how little Del had participated. Del should not have matriculated. I have no idea if he did or not, but Del was a black eye. 

Are there Del's in the PhD program? Yep. But for some reason, I thought we were all getting A's whether we were Del's or not. 

In this I was wrong. 

I found out the other day that several of my classmates had gotten B's or even dropped classes because they saw C's coming. Who knew?

The biggest difference I thought between the PhD and Masters, and one I still believe is there, is that the dissertation is a huge challenge. If a Del is not ready to graduate, if you have a Del, the dissertation process would weed them out. I will say, having just completed the 16th version of my proposal, I can see how that might happen. 

I've been working on a two-week revision cycle on that sucker and getting feedback from my major professor. Sometimes it's been confusing, other times its been frustrating, and still, it's even made me want to say, "What's the point." And I consider myself a "good" writer. I've been a tech writer and had my work edited. I know how soul-crushingly hard it is to see your work edited and slashed apart. I'm somewhat used to it. Still hurts, each time it does, but I am a bit inured to it. 

What would it be like for a Del? What would it be like for someone who's not a "good" writer? What must it be like for someone who is not extrinsically motivated to finish by their boss and organization like I am? That's going to make a ton of people drop. I doubt a Del would finish. 

Why is this on my mind? First, because I'm two or three weeks from having to present and hopefully get approval for my proposed study. The final few steps of my PhD program. I started writing my proposal in July. I've been working with my major professor for the past nine months. Easily 16 versions and cycles of writing and editing. 52K words (which is less than my novels, btw) . . . probably 70 references in my reference list. It's been HARD. Glad to see there is some sort of finish line in sight. I can't see a Del getting through that obstacle easily. 



No comments: