I write on weekends now. That's my new writing habit. I wake up on weekends and write with some coffee in my hands for a few hours. What's nice is that now I want to write on weekends. Before when I had all the time in the world to write, I wrote infrequently and in small snippets. Now, when I don't have time, I force time to happen on weekend mornings.
One thing I've noticed is that the dissertations I've read are not that impressive. Are they well researched and good, sure. But, they aren't that comprehensive. Not only that they were only about 20,000 words of actual content. If you take out the TOC's, the reference pages, and other fluff, it boils down to just 20,000 words.
I write 20,000 words for novels in no time. Each of my novels were 90,000 words. Each of my National Novel Writing Month entries are 50,000 words and those are words I write in a month. This disseration process is just 20,000 words.
I'm stunned by how worried my colleagues in my classes are about their disserations. I already have a good handle on what I want to do for my dissertation. Compared to Ranger School this is a walk in the park. Compared to a presentation to a CEO, this is nothing. Compared to National Novel Writing Month, this should be easy. I have two years to write 20,000 words.
No comments:
Post a Comment