I was inspired after reading the articles and chapters that included more insight on "Bloom's Taxonomy." Like you I enjoyed seeing it from a different view.
As I was reading Caine and Caine and their article on Meaningful Learning and the Executive Functions of the Brain, my margin notes say on page 55 "Bloom's Taxonomy" next to the sentence that states, "an essential aspect of learning from experience is making relevant decisions" then the note to see the sentence in Budhai's Leveraging Bloom's Taxonomy to Elevate Discussion Boards in Online Courses where on page 3 under "Apply" the sentence "at the application stage, students are expected to demonstrate and interpret. This is going beyond the understanding stage where students were required to simply report what they know, as is."
This ability for students to make relevant decisions is directly related to the Apply stage of Bloom's Taxonomy. As I wrote in my post, it's more than just "use" that we see when we schedule and perform a "hands-on" training class, instead it is practical application. The same thing that Budhai is asking for with the post on application with discussion boards.
I also like your analogy about the escalator rather than a ladder. I almost see it as an elevator where students can hit whichever button is hit by the occupant depending on which floor they would like to use for that moment. The lobby would be Remember but the student who understands the content deeply could push whatever button is most practicable for that moment.

No comments:
Post a Comment