Friday, January 21, 2022

Duoethnography

Recently I finished a duotehtnography project and had to report on my findings from it. I have a paper due soon, but the preliminary findings were interesting to say the least.



Part of the assignment was to present the data in a unique way. I'm sad to say I'm not very unique. 

I say this because I just completed my preliminary findings portion of our duoethnography project, and just finished the reading on arts based research. When I present information in my life I am always very factually driven, numbers, data, evidence, is always what I use to present information whether its to friends and family, work, whatever the case may be. 


Stepping outside of that comfort zone is tough. My mind speaks in certain ways, and I've become comfortable with that language. Presenting information in a concept map is the most "outside the box" thinking I usually do. 


In this project I tried to do a bit more. Nope, it wasn't a dance, it wasn't a song, not even a movie or a clip. It was just a more subjective concept map. I tried to push the boundaries of what I could do and think, and the best I could do is make a more subjective concept map. Now, initially I was somewhat discouraged by this realization. 


Then I realized that it's a baby step. Before this class or this assignment I would have presented a table of findings with evidence that could be traced back and counted and verified. Pushing the boundaries for me is being more subjective in my concept mapping. Heck! Even concept mapping is something that before two classes ago I would not have been comfortable with. Outlines, tables, bulleted lists . . . . that's my happy place. 



Concept maps? WAY too far outside the lines for me to color. So, I'll take a further evolution of my concept mapping as a golden nugget moment. Compared to some my working outside the comfort zone may seem jejune or limited, but for me this is a huge step. Even baby steps can lead to bigger steps and a longer journey.

No comments: