Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Organizations Open to Change

A colleague in my class on Administration and Organization of Learning Communities had a question about my last post on how organizations can be open to change. I mentioned having been a part of several mergers and re-orgs, as well as events where outside agencies or consultants came in to suggest changes.


I've worked with both types of leaders, those who were open to thoughts of change, and those who weren't. 

One leader I look up to was more than willing to listen to and understand perceived challenges and open to hearing about ways to overcome them, from anyone, at anytime. Another leader I worked with was always recalcitrant and standoff-ish. In that second case I had to continue to move forward without his blessing and by the time we hit the finish line he could see the benefits I had been unable to translate to him during the beginning of the project. Additionally, I realized that his perspective was very much centered on budget demands. Looking back I realize now I might have been able to persuade him had I understood his primary motivation better and managed my communications around that. 

Regardless, I have found that successful and growing enterprises have leaders who are open to new ideas and thoughts from anyone in the organization. Some of the best leaders I've had loved to spend time with every level of worker who worked under them and learn about the real world challenges that the organization faced. 

I guess to get back to the original question, I think it's always best if the changes originate with those in charge, if only because it offers a degree of authority to the change you're hoping to see. That being said, as I mentioned above, finding the best way to engage those leaders and help them understand the challenge is always unique and I've been surprised how many variables can be in play in that. 

No comments: