I've written about this before (HERE and HERE) but it came up again in a Facebook post I wrote the other day. My neighbor was getting pummeled so I thought it worthwhile to speak up.
In truth, when I read that Brookfield chapter, not only did I lose a ton of respect for the man, but I also started to realize that this had been taught in higher education for years. It made me realize how pervasive this social engineering had been at the college level, and why we had so many nuts around the country now days.
What's troubling is that I'm getting this social engineering in a Ph.D class. Can kids in high school or middle school understand it and stand up for their beliefs at younger ages? I don't think so. I'm glad to see that there is some push back against it at those levels (see HERE and HERE).
Next semester I have to take an entire class on Social and Critical Justice Issues. It's a requirement that I take that class. Why? The cultural moment within which we live demands it. Would I rather focus on how learning effects our clients? How the workers we support want to get effective training? Yep. But instead I have to take time to learn more about critical and social justice issues. I'm not looking forward to it. It's a tangent that doesn't mean much to my research and truthfully, I doubt I'll get much out of it.


No comments:
Post a Comment