Tuesday, January 4, 2022

The COVID-19 Butterfly

Another colleague of mine is doing a study on Chaos Theory, specifially how has the COVID-19 pandemic align with the concepts of Chaos Theory, and what are some of the most significant workplace implications? 

I don't know as much about Chaos Theory as I would like, but I love the implications of research in to COVID-19. In general, I look at things through comparison, and I have a daily comparison of COVID-19 response every day at work. 

There are two learning organizations, side-by-side, in Houston that support the refinery and petrochemical industry. One, in general, supports contractors who work at owner/operator sites. The other, also speaking generally, supports the owner/operator. These two institutions would share a property line except for a small taqueria that is nestled between them. What's this have to do with COVID-19? 

One shut down for a year, the other never shut down. 

I find it fascinating that there were two similar training institutions and the responses to the COVID-19 outbreak were so drastically different. I'm not sure how Chaos theory might play a part in that, but as an agent of change, or a chaos factor, COVID-19 certainly seems to be a disruptor in many ways, the flapping of the butterfly wings so to speak. And yet there were two vastly different responses. 

I would love to see how the two compare. How many learners were and were not serviced? How did that affect the revenue, or not? How many people were furloughed or jobs were saved? How has this changed their preparations for other events like hurricanes, floods, or other outbreaks?

No comments: