Friday, January 14, 2022

DE&I, Criticality, and Industry

My golden nugget this week comes as a part of, or an addendum to last week’s nugget. Last week I wrote about how changing perspective and looking for critical perspectives, feminism, or how our studies might affect indigenous peoples was an interesting and enlightening experience especially considering my area of interest; emotionally resonant videos and long term memory. 


My research into articles that fit this niche and the perspectives was not at all easy. I found plenty on making videos, and the ability for video story-telling to augment learning in the classroom, but not much that dealt with effectiveness of video for the receiver, especially in the industrial sector, and within androgyny, areas within which I train. 

I thought about broadening my research questions, and instead of focusing on video as a learning tool, look for articles that might deal with critical perspectives, race, feminism, or indigenous peoples within the employee cohort that my organization supports. But the more I thought about it, the less I liked that shift, as it took the work so far from the central them of emotion and video. Regardless, I found a few that fit the bill, but not close enough nor enough in number to make me feel the assignment was complete. 


The epiphany came when I spoke about this in class to Dr. Liang about my challenges. She mentioned that my industry or the work I’m focused on might not have much research with these perspectives in mind; that my work might help be a part of the oeuvre that is being created around these perspectives. I hold by last week’s nugget that the perspective switch is intriguing and brings up interesting possibilities. Finding articles that fit the bill have just been harder than I thought.


No comments: