Monday, August 1, 2022

Buccee's Position

Nicole the other day I was reminded of a position I tuned down years ago. It was back in 2015 with a gas station/convenience mart that has HUGE brand name notoriety in Texas and the southwest. 


I was very eager to take the position, but when I asked about virtual work options, this company that was still growing from a small retailer to something much larger and mature, had no options for this. In the job I was in at the time, I was running a virtual training network. 

There were times when I would have to step in and train for 6-8 hours. If this interfered with family, and because my wife traveled as a software project manager, I would lead the training from home. Our learners and the organization didn't mind if I was in my office at work or in my office at home, as long as the training was effective and the learners were ready to work in the time the branches expected.  

Despite wanting to take the new job, I had to turn it down. I guess the point is that without having options for virtual work, even if it was just in small amounts, organizations are going to find it harder and harder to recruit good, talented, employees. I think for this organization offering me the new position, I would have brought a lot of training effectiveness to an organization that desperately needed it. Looking back there is some regret about missing the opportunity, but it just wasn't what we needed at that moment. 


No comments: