I was worried about my fun run this month, because last month it was so bad. You’ll remember, it was August, and I ran a 10K and the conditions were so miserable that I bailed at the 5K mark. What were those conditions?
Well, I’ll tell you.
1) Side walk route. Put several hundred people on a sidewalk in a park and tell them to try and outrun one another. Doesn’t work well.
2) 90 degree weather. Could have been 100 degree with the humidity.
3) No shade. If you’re going to run in Houston in the summer, atleast have some shade.
4) Loop course. Is there anything worse than running a 10K where it’s just two loops of the 5K route? It’s a mind fuck to see the finish and then realize you still have half to run.
5) Returning from travel. I had just returned from a trip. Like the night before.
6) Diet. I was hard core dieting. Not a good way to run.
All of these things meant I had a bad run. I hated it. I did it. But I hated it.
This months’ run was better. Much better. I won my age group. Didn’t realize I would. I’m actually surprised I did. But, yep, one my age group. I also came in 7th overall. Now to be sure this was a smallish, local race. But still, what am I? 50?!?!?! And I’m a great big fat-body? And I won? Yay me!
I’m glad I’m getting back on track.


No comments:
Post a Comment