I have several BFFs at work, which is not unheard of right? We all have friends at work. Some friends are fun for one reason, some for others. This one friend is fun because she . . . like me . . . is an introvert.
I remember in our Insightful Leadership course I presented to the class on introverts vs extroverts. The way I discussed it was that extroverts pull energy from others and rechannel it to groups. Introverts expel energy from themselves to others. It's not that introverts can't be outgoing it's just that it takes more energy to do so.
When I was a trainer for a contracting group I would fly to all of our branches and train our field workers. It was an 8 hour training and I got a ton of compliments for my style, my presence, my energy. I remember that after every class I would crash. I would need to close the door to my hotel room and chill out. Other trainers might go out for drinks, but not me. I would need some alone time.
It wasn't until I read this about introverts and extroverts that I realized what I needed was to recharge my batteries. I need that time alone to get back to stasis. For 8 hours I was expelling energy, I needed a moment to get that energy back. My wife and I are like this on a macro scale. Weekends we like to relax at home. All week I'm commuting . . . meeting . . . working . . . etc. She is traveling to Austin, meeting with clients, or talking to her team in India. We are out there working, working, working, and expelling energy. On weekends we need to chill out and have downtime.
I subscribe to an introverted community on social media. There are some amazingly prescient sayings, things, meme's on there. I see them and I'm amazed how well they describe me.
I was given this hat by a friend . . . one who obviously knows me quite well. The pic of it is above. This . . . is me to a T.

No comments:
Post a Comment