Last week in Kentucky at a conference I got to sit next to a professor who was involved with freshmen classes. He was challenged in helping these students become inspired and want to enjoy the learning process. He created a class that focused on "world-building."
As we talked and he became more and more excited to tell me about everything he was adding into his class and using to inspire his students, our discussion naturally went to books where world-building is typical and normal . . . Sci-Fi and Fantasy.
As any follower here may know, I'm in the midst of reading the song of ice and fire series, colloquially known as game of thrones. BUT, even though my goal was to take my time and get to the end about the time that George R.R. Martin releases the 6th and final book in the series, I think I'm going too fast. I'm halfway through the second book. I know how slow Martin is at completing his books, so like I said . . . too fast.
But after talking to this professor, I'm going to be adding a couple of books to my "series" reading challenge.
The first one is the Three Body Problem. This professor felt this was one I had to read. I suggested to him several by Verner Vinge (my absolute favorite author), while he suggested this one.
The other one he thought was fun was Expeditionary Force by Craig Alexander. This should help make me take my time getting through these series reading challenge.
No comments:
Post a Comment