Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Dad How Do I?

My friend Andrew wrote about how he goes about studying. I stopped and did a double take when I read this in his post, "and have my computer read me the passage." What the what? Really? That is so cool? 

When my organization develops our eLearning here we have to ensure we both write out what is being said, say through audio narration what is needed, and provide a visual representation. I love the fact that Andrew does this? How does he feel it changes the nature of his studying? What and when does he decide, "that's a passage I need to hear!"

Secondly, like that he finds himself hunting down YouTube videos to help explain concepts and procedures. There is a huge press in our industry for content libraries that can be immediately accessed in the field by our learners. Think about it, when your garage door breaks, the first thing most of us do is go to YouTube and find someone who has shared their own problems with their own garage doors and shared it with the world. I think back and can easily remember my pool, my garage door, my wi-fi light switches (which I still think should be termed li-fi or wi-li), my sons basketball goal, all of these have been YouTube searches for me in just the past three months. 

I find it also very interesting to judge each content creator. I like to see how they breakdown complex procedures for their audience. I like that some of them have nothing to advertise, they're just being helpful and generous with their time and work. I like watching camera angles and whether or not they have specialties or if they're just all around handy folk. The best I think . . . in terms of content creation, philosophy, etc . . . is this one aimed at people who need fatherly advice called Dad How do I (see here).


No comments: